17 December 2014

The Love of a Good Man - Chapter Five


“Maggie, stop!” Beth shouted, trying to prevent her sister from kicking Rick in the stomach-again. She shoved her sister back and planted herself between her sister and boyfriend.
“What the hell?”
That was Daryl’s voice, as though things couldn’t get any worse. He yanked the curtain back, took one look at Beth and Rick in the nude and turned right back around.
“Daryl!” Maggie shouted, when she saw he was leaving.
“Huh-uh,” he said, steadfastly keeping his back turned.
“Do something!”
“What the fuck you expect me to do?”
Maggie was at a loss for words as Rick struggled to his feet. He and Beth quickly dressed while Maggie glared at the two of them.
“How could you?” she asked Rick. “She’s just a kid!”
“Rick isn’t the problem here Maggie. You are,” Beth said cooly.
“How am I the problem?”
Beth scooped the teddy bear off the floor and pressed it to Maggie’s chest.
“I’m not just a kid.”
“Yeah? You think you’re all grown up? We’ll see what Daddy says about this. We’ll call the council on you, Rick! You sick pervert!”
“Hershel knows. He gave us his blessing,” Rick told her.
It was obvious Maggie didn’t believe him for a second.
“He does, Maggie. Go on, get him. He’ll tell you.”
Maggie took Beth by the hand, her grip tight as a vice, inescapable, and dragged her toward their father’s cell in another part of the block. He was putting Judith down to sleep when Maggie burst in.
“You’ll never guess what I just walked in on!”
“Shush! You’ll wake the baby.”
He pushed Maggie into the corridor and Beth wrested herself from her sisters grip.
“Come with me.”
His tone brooked no argument so Maggie and Beth followed. When they reached the council room he closed the door.
“Go on, tell him. Or I will.”
“Maggie caught me with Rick in an…intimate moment.”
“I see.”
His calm tone and lack of surprise was a shock to Maggie. Beth and Rick had been telling the truth. He knew.
“You really do know? You actually gave them your blessing?”
“You didn’t complain when I gave you and Glenn my blessing.”
“That’s different! I’m a grown woman and Beth’s—”
“So am I,” Beth interjected.
“You are not. You’re a kid. You’re my baby sister. Daddy, how could you?”
“Maggie, I could go into a longwinded explanation about how this world forced people to grow up fast and that Beth doesn’t have the same kind of time to experience things in this life that you had before the turn. I could tell you how there isn’t much of a difference between Beth and Rick and my own history with your mama, Jo. I won’t do that. You know these things already. I will say that I’ve thought about it long and hard and I approve of the match. I don’t have a problem with Rick and Beth falling in love and being together. Now, if you do, you’re going to have to work that out on your own. All I want from you is to keep an open mind and keep your mouth shut, especially around Carl.”
“You don’t want him to know his daddy is a pedophile? Fine, I won’t tell him.”
“That’s enough! I’m not a child, Maggie!” Beth shouted, angrier than she’d ever been with her sister. “Do me a favor and butt out of my life!”
Beth stormed away but Maggie chased after her. “Oh, that’s really mature, running away.”
“Just like it was mature for you to attack him?” Beth shot back. She stopped and faced Maggie. “You keep your mouth shut. Word has a way of spreading and I don’t want this getting back to Carl. He’s not ready to know. You can hate Rick all you want but don’t you dare do a thing—”
Maggie snorted derisively. Beth had never seen her sister so hostile, so nasty and mean. “You think he’s ever gonna call you Mommy? For God’s sake, he tried to date you once!”
Beth backed away, shaking her head. “Go cool off, Maggie. Until you apologize to Rick I don’t want anything to do with you.”
“That’ll be a cold day in hell.”
Beth stormed away, leaving her seething sister in the corridor, watching her stalk back to her cell. Daryl was talking to Rick. He looked very uncomfortable in her presence and Beth suspected it had to do with seeing her in the buff.
“So you saw me naked. It’s not the end of the world, Daryl,” Beth snapped.
“I gotta go,” he answered, and hurried off toward his own cell.
“I’ll bet the whole damn prison knows now with all the ruckus Maggie caused,” Beth said miserably, sitting down on her bunk.
“I don’t know. I hope not. Nobody else came around,” Rick said. He took her hand in his and then realized she was crying.
“Are you okay?” she asked wetly.
“Yeah. Are you?”
“Maggie was just awful. I can’t believe she punched and kicked you.”
Rick found himself smiling, despite his injuries, which were fairly minor. He’d had worse. “She was defending her sister.”
“I’m furious with her.”
“Don’t be. This came as a shock to her.”
“How can you be so forgiving?”
Rick shrugged. “I’d have done the same if I had a little sister and caught her in bed with the group leader.”
“You’d have treated her like a child? Humiliated her? Beaten her lover?”
Her lover.
That brought a smile to Rick’s lips.
“Probably, but I would have felt really bad about it after. She’ll either accept us together or she won’t. We can’t force her, Beth. Come on. It’s late. Let’s lie down.”
“Lock the door this time,” she said. “We don’t need any more surprise guests.”
When he came back to bed he kissed her softly on the side of her head and held her close. With him behind her, she felt much better, but she was still worried.
“You won’t put an end to us because of her, will you?”
“No,” he said.
“I love you.”
He kissed her softly again. “I love you, too.”
The next couple of weeks were tense. Maggie was civil when Carl was around but she turned cold as ice when he wasn’t there. Carl wasn’t stupid. He knew something was going on.
“Hershel?”
“Carl, come in,” the older man said, when Carl came to his cell to drop Judith off. “What can I do for you?”
“I need to talk but I don’t want to talk to Dad because it’s about him.”
“I see. Well, tell me what’s on your mind, son.”
Carl took a moment to gather his thoughts. He had a lot of information he’d gleaned from observing everyone but he couldn’t put it together.
“Do you think Dad may have a girlfriend?”
“What makes you think he does?”
“He seems different. Kind of happy.”
“Does that bother you?” asked Hershel.
“No, it’s good he’s happy but…but…”
“Your mom hasn’t been gone that long.”
Carl nodded. “They hated each other at the end. They weren’t happy, I know that but I don’t know. It’s weird. I don’t like the idea that he’s forgotten Mom that fast.”
“Carl, as a man who has been married, divorced, and widowed twice, I can tell you without any doubt whatsoever that Rick has not forgotten Lori. A man never forgets a wife, whether he’s had only one or if he’s had five.”
“Then how could he date someone else so soon if he still loves Mom?”
“I still love my first wife, Jo. I loved her when we divorced. I loved her even after she died in that car accident. I’ll love her to my dying breath.”
“You can really love two women?” he said, looking confused and sad. Hershel’s heart went out to the boy. He knew it must have been really hard for him to understand what was happening, even if he didn’t know the identity of the woman his father was with now.
“Yes, absolutely. I know this is hard for you to understand but your mom and dad didn’t hate each other. They loved each other very much. That’s why Rick struggled so hard with her death. That kind of love runs deep and it lasts a lifetime. No matter who your father falls in love with he’s always, always going to love Lori. He’s got enough room in his heart for her and he has room in his heart for someone new. Never doubt that he loves you and Judith, too. The capacity of the human heart to love is endless. I know this from firsthand experience. Doesn’t make it easier to accept your dad with someone new, I know, but in time, as you mature and grow, you’ll understand that.”
Carl nodded but he still looked deeply unhappy. “I wonder who she is.”
“You’ll know that when he’s ready for you to know. Give him time to tell you. When he’s ready, he will. Carl, it’s okay if you’re angry about it. It’s okay to be unhappy for awhile. You don’t have to be happy but you will have to accept it. It wouldn’t be fair for you to expect your father to go the rest of his life alone, lonely, especially with the way this world is. Your dad can sometimes seem superhuman but let me assure you, he’s just a man, same as me, same as Daryl, or Glenn, or anyone else. He has feelings, too, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t love your mom, or will forget her, or put anyone else above you and Judith. I know he’d never do that.”
He left Hershel’s cell and the older man watched him go, hoping his words would bring the boy some comfort.
When Maggie showed no signs of relenting or coming around to the idea of her sister and Rick as a couple, Rick decided to take a step toward bridging the gap. Glenn hadn’t liked it at first, probably still didn’t, but he’d accepted that there was nothing he could do to change it, Rick and Beth had Hershel’s blessing, and at the end of the day it just wasn’t any of his business.
He climbed the guard tower and closed the trap door before going to stand beside Maggie, who leaned against the railing, keeping an eye out for danger.
“I’ve said what I have to say to you, Rick.”
“I haven’t said what I have to say.”
“Then say it and go.”
“I love her.”
Maggie’s smile was one of bitterness tinged with disgust. She shook her head and looked at him. “You love her? Really?”
“Yeah.”
“Why?”
“I don’t know.”
“I do. You’re crazy. You lost your mind when you lost Lori. You lost your moral center.”
“I’m the same man I always was.”
“Are you, Rick?”
“I guess if I’m an amoral pedophile then your father must be, too.”
This time he was ready for the right hook. This time he wouldn’t simply take an ass kicking. He blocked the blow and shoved her away from him with as much force as he dared. Enough to let her know he wasn’t playing around.
“Who the hell do you think you are?”
“Hershel was thirty-eight when your mother fell in love with him at sixteen. I’m thirty-six and Beth is eighteen. They waited until she was eighteen then married. Is Hershel rotten at his core? Is he a pedophile?”
Maggie crossed her arms and leaned back against the glass of the guard tower. Of course she didn’t see her father as a pedophile. He was the best man she knew. Rick and Beth weren’t doing anything her own parents hadn’t done. The two men weren’t all that different.
“Are you sure this is about the age difference or something else?” Rick asked.
“I don’t know what you mean.”
“I mean you don’t want Beth to grow up. You want her to stay forever young and innocent in your eyes?”
She couldn’t exactly argue that. She couldn’t even bring herself to meet Rick’s gaze. She just stared out at the prison yard.
“If you really think I’m an indecent man, a pervert, then I’m sorry. I’m none of those things, Maggie. I’m just a man who fell in love. I can’t help that the first person my heart opened up to was Beth. She accepted me. She loves me. I love her. We’re going to be together. I’d just really like it if we could go back to being friends, trusting one another. I promise you one thing. I will always do everything in my power to keep her safe. I’ll treat her right. I’ll never hurt her. That’s all I’ve got and if it’s not good enough for you, I’m sorry.”
Rick left Maggie alone with her thoughts and descended to the ground. She watched him cross the yard, heading for his crops, a jumble of thoughts and feelings going through her mind and heart.
That night, after dropping Judith off with Rick, Beth took a shower and then returned to her cell, exhausted. She’d not only been babysitting all day but she’d manned the grill and washed clothes and helped clean out some of the offices in the administration wing to make room for supplies brought in from Daryl and Michonne’s runs. There were new people coming in, including someone with medical experience named Bob Stookey.
Beth almost didn’t notice the letter lying on her desk. She picked it up, feeling it had weight, and opened it. Inside was a note from Maggie … and three condoms.
I reckon you could do a lot
worse than Rick Grimes. Be
careful. I have more when you
need them.
Maggie xoxo
Beth smiled. That was as close to an apology as Maggie was going to get and Beth could accept it. Still, she wanted to know that her sister had worked things out with Rick. She wasn’t okay with her treatment of him.
“Guess who shook my hand today?”
“Where’s Judy?”
“With Carl.”
Beth was still toweling her hair when she looked up at Rick, who stood in the doorway of the cell, smiling at her.
“Who shook your hand?”
“Maggie.”
“Without trying to trick you into losing your balance so she could stomp you into the ground?” she said with mock surprise.
Rick was grinning when he sat next to her. “Silently and stiffly but she shook it. She and I talked this morning.”
“She’s accepted it,” Beth said, holding up one of the condoms. Rick regarded it before looking at her.
“Want to use one?” she asked, smiling playfully.
There was nothing playful about Rick putting his hand on her inner thigh. “Yeah,” he said.
“Come here,” Beth answered, pulling him into a kiss.
She was always amazed by how quickly her body responded to him. He could make her heart race and her pussy moisten with nothing but a glance. They began yanking off their clothes and before long she was lying under him, naked, while he trailed kisses down her body. He’d been thirsting for her since her birthday but he hadn’t indulged again until now.
Beth’s body was humming with need by the time she felt the first finger slip in. It was pleasant but it only made her body ache for more. His lips were on hers again when he added a second finger and went deeper until there was a sharp pain. She hissed and he stopped, withdrawing his fingers and situating himself above her. She felt the head of his cock teasing pressure against her clit. Sweet pulses of desire replaced any discomfort left by his fingers.
“It’s okay. I know it’ll hurt,” she whispered. “I still want this.”
After rolling on one of the condoms Rick slowly, very slowly, began to push into her, filling her, stretching her in ways she’d never imagined, and it did hurt. He was gentle, he was slow, and even though the pain persisted Beth wouldn’t have traded it for the world. She was finally as close to Rick as it was possible for her to be and the love she had for him made her heart swell almost painfully…
“Tell me,” she whispered, as she felt him reach his climax.
“I love you…”

Beth was sore in the morning. She also wasn’t alone. Normally Rick waited until she fell asleep before going back to his cell but this time he’d stayed. It was still dark out when she awoke in his arms to find him already up, watching her. He smiled and kissed her brow.
“Morning.”
“Morning,” she said, and ran her fingers through the hairs of his chest.
“You okay?”
“Better than ever. I’ve never been this happy. I didn’t think it was possible.”
“I haven’t felt this complete in a long time,” he confessed.
After a few moments of silence, holding one another, enjoying the feel of waking up together, Rick had to get up.
“I need to be in my cell when Carl gets up,” he said.
Beth nodded. “Have you thougth about telling him?”
“I have but it isn’t time. He already suspects I’m seeing someone. He’s not okay with it yet but I think he’s coming around to the idea.”
“Does he have a clue it’s me?”
“I don’t think so.”
He kissed her again and then got up to get dressed. When he was gone Beth also got up, deciding to start her day early. She needed a shower and wash her sheets. There was blood in them, blood sticking her thighs together, and she hurt, but it was fading. She smiled as she imagined being able to make love with Rick without pain and hoped that time would come soon.
There was something wrong with the pigs. Violet, as Carl called her, no longer attempted to get up. Rick watched her sleeping at the back of the pen and wondered what was going on. He had this depressing feeling that something terrible was on the horizon. That feeling was only made worse by the presence of so many walkers lining the fences. It was like the outside world had decided they’d enjoyed enough safety and security and was determined to destroy what they had.
He hoped he was wrong but experience had taught Rick that when it came to the worst that could happen he was always right.
Once Beth finished with her sword fighting lessons with Michonne for the day she sheathed the blade. Rick was approaching and he had a look on his face that said he was there for her, not Michonne.
“I saw your form while you practiced,” he said. He looked at Michonne. “You think she’s ready to put her skills to real world use?”
“I think she could handle herself against one or two. I wouldn’t recommend her trying to take on more than that yet,” she answered.
“Want to join me? I’m going to check the traps. You can act as my bodyguard.”
“I’ll bet,” Michonne smirked, and then started for the prison. She was one of the few who didn’t look angry, confused, or disgusted by the fact that Rick and Beth were together. Daryl and Hershel were the other two.
Beth walked with Rick through the gate, waving at Glenn who was on guard duty. Her brother-in-law waved back before looking away. He seemed to have a difficult time looking at her when she was with Rick. That bothered her. When would he, and Maggie for that matter, accept the choices she and Rick had made? When would they stop judging?
The walk into the woods was a peaceful one. It was a hot, bright day but in the trees it was noticeably cooler, pleasant even, with the shade casting the ground in shadows. Once they were out of the line of sight of the prison Rick took Beth’s hand, lacing his fingers with hers, and they walked on in comfortable silence.
“Did you really want to check the traps or is this a date?” she asked after awhile.
“I want to check the traps but I don’t think there’s going to be anything good. I mostly want to spend some time with you away from prying eyes and ears.”
“Walker,” Beth said sighing.
“Want to test out your skills?”
“Absolutely.”
She drew the machete and approached the walker that was coming toward her. It was a large male and she took up a battle stance. She swung—and missed.
“Shit,” she said, having used the blade too soon. She backed up a step and tried again. This time she cut its head in half. It dropped disgustingly to the ground.
“Yes,” she said, and turned. Her joy turned to alarm when she saw a walker was coming close to Rick.
“Behind you!”
He turned just in time. He’d already had his knife out, in case Beth needed assistance. He used it to take down the gaunt, rotted woman who’d reached for him.
“Beth,” Rick said, hearing approaching footsteps.
“I see them.”
There were four walkers approaching. Beth and Rick stood with their backs to the other, waiting for the things to get close. She used the moves Michonne had taught her and ran the first of the two walkers coming her way. The second she took out by driving the machete down into its skull and pulling back.
When it was over Beth wiped her machete and stood to face Rick.
“You handled yourself beautifully,” he commented with pride.
“I feel like Xena.”
Rick laughed and took her hand, leading her deeper into the woods, near the traps.
“Lori loved that show. One Halloween she came into the bedroom dressed like her and…” his voice trailed off. “Sorry.”
“It’s okay to talk about her, Rick,” Beth replied softly. “I’m not that insecure.”
“Yeah, but I’d rather not. Especially a story like that.”
She squeezed his hand and came to a stop.
“Something wrong?” he asked.
“My blood’s pumping from the fight,” she said.
Rick allowed his eyes to deliberately travel from her luscious lips to her booted feet and back up again. “That so?” he asked, moving to rest his hands on her hips.
She nodded and looked up at him. There wasn’t a huge height difference between them. She liked that. He was backing her toward a tree. She liked that too. She liked the way he started to kiss her, rough and fast, and deep. She enjoyed the way his hands kneaded her ass and she enjoyed how he felt pressed against her when her back came into contact with the tree.
“Turn around,” he said, and Beth happily obliged while Rick’s hands deftly unfastened her jeans and slipped into her panties.
A strangled sigh escaped from Beth when he played his fingers over her slit, teasing her, making her wet. He’d push the tips of a couple of fingers in, just enough to make her body ache for penetration, and then slip out again to come to her clit. She bit her lip, trying to keep quiet. Last thing she wanted was for more walkers to come their way to interrupt. It seemed to her she always had to be quiet. When they were at the prison they had to keep it hush-hush.
“Don’t hold back. We’ll be all right. I think we got all the walkers in the area,” he said, sensing her efforts to remain as quiet as possible. “Enjoy this the way you want.”
She let out the breath she hadn’t been aware she was holding. She became so caught up in the sensations of Rick’s hand between her thighs nothing else mattered. It was a welcome respite from the dangers and the stress of her life.
When she was ready for him, when she was begging him, he removed the condom he’d brought from his wallet and rolled it on. Then he positioned himself at her entrance and slid slowly, gently in. She wasn’t as tight this time. There was no hint of pain this time. She even pushed back against him, trying to take him in faster than he expected.
A long, low moan came from deep within Beth as she took him in. Rick closed his eyes and remained still for a moment. She was gloriously tight and so wet. She moved first, and he took the hint, moving within her slowly at first but picking up pace whenever he felt her adjust to the movement—to him.
There was no pain this time. Their first time, a few days ago, had hurt like a sonofabitch. This time Beth felt only mild discomfort at the start. Now that she’d adjusted she leaned against the tree feeling sweat bead on her skin, one of Rick’s fingers massing her clit while the other toyed with her nipples under her shit.
“Fuck, Beth,” he whispered.
There was something deeply erotic about having him move inside her, the feel of Rick’s breath on her neck, and the feel of his hands on her body. The sounds he made turned her on. His breath came fast and short as he pumped into her, occasionally accentuated with a moan or a whimper of need.
This wasn’t Beth’s first time coming but it was the best so far. She orgasmed powerfully, clenching his cock deep inside, her juices exploded from her, gushing over his balls and running down her thighs as she screamed his name.
They enjoyed a swim in a sunny creek and then lay on the shore naked, drying off in the sun, talking and cuddling. There came a moment when Beth wanted to fall asleep but she knew that would be dangerous, so she kept talking to keep herself and Rick awake.
“What did you say was wrong with the pigs?”
“I don’t know,” Rick said, pulling his clothes on. “They’ve come down with something and they’re only getting worse.”
When they were both dressed they took the sack that carried a fairly decent haul of fat rabbits and squirrels and started for home. They passed a dog that had seen better days. It’s matted fur was an infested mess and it collapsed near the walkers he and Beth had killed earlier. Blood suddenly burst from its eyes and it whined pitifully.
“Do something, please,” Beth said, feeling sorry for the animal.
Rick went over and it tried to crawl away, having long ago learned not to trust people. Rick wanted to pet it, soothe it, but he didn’t know what kind of sickness it may have so he moved behind it and drove his knife into its skull. He wiped the blade on the grass before sheathing it and then continuing on with Beth.
“I don’t know what’s going on with these animals but I have a feeling it’s going to be bad news,” he said. Beth silently agreed before taking Rick’s hand and continuing the walk home.

Rick walked Beth back to her cell where she gathered things to take to the wash. He lingered in the doorway to watch her, thinking how happy he was to be with her, and wondering when it would be the right time to tell Carl.

His son really was the only thing that held him back from coming out in the open about his relationship with Beth. He didn’t want to do anything that would cause a rift between himself and his son but at the same time he wanted to be open. He hated the sneaking around. It made it feel like he was doing something wrong even though he didn’t feel like he was. Not anymore.

Time, Rick thought, was what Carl needed. He needed time to come to terms with Lori’s death and the idea that his father was only human.

“Something wrong?” Beth asked, looking up at him.

“I…”

She waited. Her face was the perfect expression of curiosity and patience.

“What?”

“I want us to be open. I don’t like hiding what we have. Don’t ever think I’m ashamed of us.”

She kissed him lightly on the lips and went back to sorting clothes. “I know you’re not ashamed of us. I’m not either. You’ll know when the time is right to tell Carl.”

“Are you a mind-reader?”

“Nope. I’ve just really gotten to know you.”

“Hey,” Daryl said, appearing at the door. “We got a situation. I found a few people on the side of the road not far from here, hurt when their car flipped over. Hershel needs some pain meds and other stuff that he’s gonna run out of before morning. Michonne just left to look for the Governor and everybody’s busy. You up for a run? I need backup I can trust.”

He was asking Beth directly, not asking Rick for permission or to make the decision for her, something Rick and Beth both respected and appreciated. Plus, the fact that he trusted Beth over older people he could ask, including Rick, pleased Beth. She threw her clothes aside and grabbed her machete.

“I’m good to go.”

“We’re taking the bike.”

Rick kissed Beth long and deep. “Be careful.”

“Of course I will.”


Rick hadn’t had a bad feeling about Beth leaving but when the sun started to set and then hours passed beyond that he was pacing the corridor outside his cell, seriously considering going out after Daryl and Beth, should something turn out to be wrong. As though reading his mind Hershel came for a visit.

“There’s a reason we don’t go out after dark,” Hershel said. “Can’t see anything.”

“I’d say this qualifies as an emergency,” Rick says. “We leave after dark for emergencies.”

“Daryl is a capable man and Beth isn’t defenseless,” Hershel pointed out. “If they’re not back by noon tomorrow go after them then.”

“If they’re not back by ten I’m going,” Rick said.

Hershel nodded his agreement and then left. He looked as worried as Rick felt, more so, but he was right. It wouldn’t do any good to go out looking after dark. Beth and Daryl were probably holed up somewhere for the night, following the rules, and were perfectly fine.

“It’s Beth, isn’t it?”

Rick hadn’t realized Carl had come to his cell and was watching him from the corridor.

“What?”

“The new woman you’re dating. It’s Beth, isn’t it?”

Carl’s voice was as unreadable as his face. Rick seriously considered lying but he knew that would cause more harm than good.

“How did you figure it out?” Rick asked, confirming Carl’s suspicions.

“It explains Maggie and Glenn being weird with you for so long. You hang around with her more than usual. I put it together.”

Rick patted the bed next to him but Carl decided to remain in the doorway.

“How do you feel about it?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. She’s not much older than me.”

“That’s true.”

“Am I supposed to call her Mom and let her boss me around?”

Rick smiled at that. “No. You don’t have to do that. You don’t even have to like it but someday you’ll have to accept it.”

“I accept it. I just don’t really like it.”

“I understand that. I can’t say I blame you.”

They stared at one another for a few moments. Rick was relieved to have it out in the open, to have this talk with his son, even if it led down a path he wouldn’t like.

“Do you love her?”

“Yes,” Rick said. “I still love Lori, too. I haven’t forgotten her, Carl. I’ll never forget her.”

Carl’s shoulders seemed to sag. His body seemed to deflate as though he was relieved. He’d obviously had doubts.

“Hershel said something like that.”

“You talked to Hershel?”

“Yeah. He wouldn’t tell me who it was but he said you’d always love Mom.”

“He’s right. I always will.”

“Just do me a favor? Don’t be all kissy and touchy with her in front of me. Not for awhile.”

“I can do that,” Rick agreed with a nod. “I love you too, son. More than Beth, more than Lori, more than anyone except Judith. I love you both the same. There’s nobody I’d ever put before you.”

Carl nodded, looking a little less burdened. “She’ll be back tomorrow. I know it. Daryl won’t let anything happen to her.”

He left then, leaving Rick alone with his thoughts and his fears. He lay on the bunk and after a long time hoping to hear they’d returned he drifted into sleep filled with nightmares. He finally had something good. How long until Fate ripped it all away from him?


Rick awoke to Beth’s hands gently rubbing his back. He pulled her close, filled with relief so intense he could have wept from it.

“What happened?”

“We got pinned down by a group of walkers. WE ended up spending the night in an old house until they forgot about us and wandered off. We got what Daddy needed but I lost my machete in the fight.”

She looked genuinely upset about the machete. She’d been stranded away from home overnight and her biggest complaint had been to lose her weapon. He wanted to insist she never go on a run again but he wouldn’t dare. She needed the experience should she ever find herself out on her own trying to survive.

“I’m glad you’re home safe. Look, I have something to tell you.”

“Carl?” she asked, nodding. He knows about us. He and I already talked. He made sure I knew I wasn’t replacing Lori. He’s trying to be okay with it but I don’t think he is. Not really. Not yet.”

Rick nodded his agreement. Just because Carl hadn’t thrown a fit didn’t mean he was cool with his father dating a girl not even old enough to be his mother, and a girl he’d once had a crush on himself.

“We’ll have to be patient and give him time. He’ll come around.”

Beth put her hand on his thigh and squeezed. He knew what she had in mind and he was thinking along the same lines. “Let’s sneak off to the library before everybody gets up and gets going. I need you.”

“Let’s go,” he said, getting up to follow after her.

“Just one thing,” she said, as they all but ran toward the library, their bodies aching with the desire to join together. “If you ever come across a walker with a red machete stuck through its shoulder, it’s mine.”

Rick grinned. “I’ll get it and bring it right back to you. I promise.”


Rick  had no idea that when he and Beth made love in the library it would be their last time.

One tragedy after another struck within the space of just a few days that kept them too busy to make time for intimacy. Beth’s would-be suitor, Zach, was killed on a run. Twelve people died in a walker attack from a good boy who’d died and turned from a sickness. Two more of their people had been murdered in cold blood in Carol’s futile attempt to stop the sickness from spreading. Their people went on a medicine run that Rick was afraid they’d never return from. He banished Carol and came home to almost lose the prison to a walker herd.

Now, rick was picking himself up off the ground, wondering where his children were, where Beth was. Hershel was dead. The prison had fallen. His people needed him.

Beth needed him.

Rick faced it all, feeling his heart break once again. His home was gone, taken over by the dead. His daughter was dead, consumed by walkers as her mother had been. He was barely on his feet. Beth was nowhere in sight. Fate had apparently been affronted by his audacity to dare seek happiness, to want too much from this hell they called life, and had once again used a firm hand to put him in his place.

So Rick fled with his son, wondering if he could survive his own wounds. His only advice, the only thing he had to give his son as he limped along, his body weak and hurting, was not to look back. Just don’t look back.


They were on the way to Terminus when he saw it. They’d had to detour, looking for food, and that was when it stumbled across his, Carl’s, and Michonne’s path. A walker with a machete stuck in its shoulder. Rick could hear Beth’s voice just as plain as day when she’d told him that if he saw such a thing, it was hers.

“That’s Beth’s machete,” Rick said.

“How do you know?” asked Carl.

“She lost it on that run with Daryl. She said if I saw it, it belonged to her.”

Neither Michonne nor Carl attempted to stop Rick as he moved in on the walker. He yanked the machete out of its shoulder and then used it to finish the kill Beth had started.

“Thanks for bringing it back,” he whispered, cleaning the blade on the dead things jeans, feeling a little crazy.

Holding the machete, seeing the B.G. carved into the handle in Beth’s writing, made him feel as though he was touching her again. He felt close to her for the first time in weeks. He stood there, holding it, hoping to God he found her alive and well.

Hope, after all, was all any of them had left.

Home

No comments:

Post a Comment