08 August 2014

A United Front Epilogue



The school was cleaned. The classrooms emptied of desks and readied for people to move in should their numbers increase. The grounds were mowed and would be kept ready for planting come spring. The gymnasium had been transformed  with white and pink streamers and other decorations that had been made from supplies from a crafts shop in town. Carol, Andrea, and Dale moved around the room putting everything together and making sure the room was ready for the ceremony. The entire gymnasium smelled of the dinner that Sasha, Carol, and Andrea had been up since early morning cooking. Andrea was particularly proud of the job Carol had done on decorating the three tier cake she'd baked for Daryl and Beth's special day.

Rick stood in his room with Michonne as both of them finished dressing. Outside rain had started in. Oddly, it didn’t feel ominous to Rick. He still asked Michonne about it.

“It’s raining on their wedding day. Think it’s a bad sign?” asked Rick.

Michonne was pulling up a pair of thigh-high stockings and Rick lost all thought for a moment as he felt blood begin to pool southward. Michonne saw the look in his eyes and smiled.

“Save it for tonight,” she told him. “Rain isn’t just a portent of disaster. It also brings life. I choose to see it that way. This is water falling in preparation for an explosion of life come spring.”

Rick nodded. “That’s a good way to look at it. Honestly, it could be snowing up a storm and walkers could be dancing outside the gates and I don’t think either Beth or Daryl would notice. Damn it, this tie…”

“Here,” Michonne said, and came to help him with it. Rick rested his hands on her hips. Her light gold dress looked good on her. He gazed down at her while she finished tying the tie.

“What?” she asked, reading him.

“You know the Governor won’t give up looking for us. He knows the general area we’re in.”

Michonne nodded. “I know. He’ll return someday.”

“We’ve got to be ready. We’ve got all of Bishop’s ammo and guns but we’re low on numbers.”

“We don’t have the numbers he does but our people are strong. We’re good fighters. We’ll survive whatever he throws at us,” she assured him.

He loved the confidence in her voice. It was enough to make him believe they could overcome the odds and make something of a life at the school. He put his arms around her and kissed her forehead.

“When will this be us? When will we walk down the aisle?”

“In the spring, when the weather is good and we can take our vows in the sun. I’ve always wanted a May wedding.”

“Then a May wedding you’ll have,” he said. He took her hand and led her toward the gymnasium to wait for the bride and the groom.

 ...

“So, you really love my Beth. I can see that,” Hershel said.

“I do love her,” Daryl agreed.

Rick wasn’t the only one having difficulty with his tie. Hershel tied the bowtie before Daryl threw on the long coat. He looked at himself in the mirror. He’d never, in his life, worn something so fancy. He found he didn’t like it. It made him feel antsy and on edge. Hershel studied him.

“Cold feet?”

“No way,” Daryl said emphatically. “I love Beth. I want to spend the rest of my life with her. Look, I know I don’t deserve somebody like her, but she chose me.”

“I’ve seen enough of you to know that you do indeed deserve her,” said Hershel. “You’re a good man, Daryl Dixon. Anybody who spends ten minutes getting to know you can see that. I’m trusting you to be good to her, to never hurt her.”

“In that case, I won’t disappoint you.”

Hershel nodded and then headed for the door. “I’m going to get Beth. It’s about time to bring her to the altar.”

...

“Oh, Sis! You’re beautiful!”

Maggie stood beside her little sister in front of the full-length mirror. She and Beth had found a dress in a bridal shop the next town over. It was sleek and form-fitting, strapless, and it fit Beth as though it had been tailored for her.

Beth turned to Maggie and took her hands. “You don’t know how much it means to me to have you here.”

“Oh yeah, I do. I’ve lived for so long thinking you were dead. Now I’ve got you back and I get to stand beside you as you make a commitment to the man you love. I’m so happy for you. You really deserve this.”

“Maggie, don’t make me cry! My make-up is gonna be a mess and there’s no time to fix it.”

“Bethie? You decent?” asked Hershel.

“I am. Come in, Daddy.”

He entered the room and kissed both his daughters. “I just had a talk with Daryl. I gave you my blessing before but in the past month I’ve gotten to know Daryl Dixon. You truly do have my blessing, Sweetie. You’ve chosen a good man.”

“I have, Daddy. He’s the best man I know, second only to you.”

Carol knocked on the door to let them know that everyone was ready. She smiled sweetly when she saw Beth in her dress.

“Let’s get the veil on and then get you to your man,” said Maggie.

When it was finally on, Beth faced her father. He offered his arm and led her from the room that had been designated as the Honeymoon Suite for all future married couples. It had been furnished from raids on furniture stores but extra flowers had been put up, as well as candles, to give the room a very romantic feel.She and Daryl would spend three relaxing days there, receiving room service from the others who volunteered to make the weekend a special one for them.

When they got to the gymnasium Beth saw Daryl for the first time that day. He had a new haircut, he’d trimmed his beard, and he was wearing a long coat tuxedo. He was so handsome, and so nervous, as he waited for her by the arch where Rick stood, smiling, and waiting to officiate. Daryl smiled at the sight of Beth, and Hershel walked her down the aisle. Maggie stood as her maid of honor, while Carl stood as Daryl’s best man.

Hershel surrendered Beth to Daryl, who took her trembling hands into his strong, steady ones. He mouthed the words I love you and she felt herself begin to calm.This was the moment she'd been waiting for. This was her dream come true.

“Dearly beloved,” Rick began. “We have gathered here today in the presence of God to join this man, Daryl Dixon, and this woman, Elizabeth Greene, in the bonds of Holy Matrimony…”



Home

No comments:

Post a Comment